4 strips thick-cut bacon
8 large eggs
½ cup (125 mL) full-fat, smooth ricotta cheese
¾ cup (175 mL) grated Cheddar cheese, divided
2 green onions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ cups (375 mL) corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
3 Tbsp (45 mL) pickled jalapenos
Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
1 cup (250 mL) spicy marinara or red pepper tomato sauce, warmed
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. In a 10-inch (25 cm) oven-safe cast iron, stainless steel, or non-stick skillet, cook the bacon until crisp, turning as needed, about 6 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towel, and drain all but 1 teaspoon (5 mL) of bacon fat from the skillet.
3. While the bacon is cooking, whisk together the eggs and ricotta cheese in a medium bowl until completely combined. Stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) Cheddar cheese and half the green onions, and season with salt and pepper.
4. Add the corn to the skillet and sauté until it softens, about 3 minutes. Chop the bacon and return to skillet. Stir in the jalapeños and combine thoroughly.
5. Pour the egg mixture over top and stir to combine with corn and bacon; sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup (60 mL) Cheddar cheese. Slide the skillet into the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the eggs are set but not browned.
6. Remove the skillet from the oven and garnish with the remaining green onions and basil. Cut into wedges and serve immediately with the tomato sauce on the side.
Source and Credits
Excerpted from Oven to Table by Jan Scott. Copyright © 2019 Jan Scott. Photography by Jan Scott. Published by Penguin Canada, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.